GM Max Illingworth posted an interesting video on YouTube, telling us what he did to reach the 2300 ELO level and thus becoming a FIDE Master (FM). Let's take a look at his list.
1. His opening repertoire was too narrow so he changed from the King's Indian to the Nimzo and Bogo Indian defenses. He also started playing main lines, not just side lines.
Narrow opening repertoire means that strong players can prepare for you easily.
2. He continued working on tactics, something I also recommend.
3. He worked with a GM coach which is very nice but also pricey.
4. He did a lot of endgame work.
5. He also changed his mindset. He stopped forcing play when his opponents made mistakes. He continued playing good moves and stopped trying to prove things as correct or incorrect.
6. During tournaments he stuck to the same routine to eliminate decision fatigue and thus save energy for his
His very first win over a grandmaster pushed him over the required 2300 FIDE ELO threshold. You only have to reach it once in your life. Of course, Illingworth became a GM and Australian champion. Follow him online,; he has a lot of great content.
My personal and humble goal is to reach the 2200 level and get the Candidate Master (CM) title.
What's your goal?
NCM Vas Sladek
Click to set custom HTML